Monday 1 February 2010

10k On The Rower

Concept2, the makers of the famous, ubiquitous and eponymous rower are running a challenge series called the Challenge Series 7. Each month the entrants have to log their best effort at different events which have so far included 4 minutes, 1609 metres (a mile), 2000 metres (Olympic distance), 5000 metres and this month 10000 metres. Today was the last day to log results for the 10k and I scraped in at 4pm with a time of 48m 36.9s Such a long row was a bit tough on my girly soft hands, but I felt quite good after.

I really like the rower - it's such a good workout, working on all the major muscle groups as well as on the CV system. One year it helped me prepare for a marathon; I had a painless knee swelling which was worrying so I tried to keep off the high impact stuff and did a lot of training on the rower, doing one or two good runs a week.  When it came to running around London I was pleasantly surprised how good I felt, and how strong my knees felt.

I intend to make it a regular part of my training for this year's marathon, particularly as I'm overweight at the moment so if I can reduce some of the shock to my joints that's all to the good :)

Oh yes. Thankyou, Keris at LA Fitness Fareham for the loan of a pair of shorts. Clever clogs here forgot his

No comments:

Post a Comment